National Healthcare Decisions Day (NHDD) is April 16, 2016. This observance exists to inspire, educate, and empower people to understand the importance of advance care planning and document patient wishes regarding healthcare and end-of-life medical decisions. The theme this year is, “It Always Seems Too Early, Until It’s Too Late.” Senior living communities, home care agencies, and other senior care organizations can take this opportunity to reach, inform, and motivate family caregivers and older adults regarding advance healthcare directives.
Content Tips for Any Senior Care Company:
- Interview a local hospice provider, hospital administrator, social worker, doctor, geriatric care manager, or elder law attorney about why it’s so important to have advance health care directives and any tips they’d offer to those you serve.
- Find out or revisit the relevant laws (and forms) for advance health care directives in your state. Share that information in your related content. Your local Area Agency on Aging may be able to point you in the right direction if you encounter any difficulty finding the information online.
- Discuss statistics that illuminate the necessity and benefits of having advance healthcare directives, such as Caring.com’s research on living wills. Additionally, first-person stories can be very effective in conveying the value of having these documents in place.
Content Tips for Senior Living Communities:
- Some senior living communities require advance healthcare directives when moving a new resident into their community. If that applies to your community, reference your policies and why you require such documents.
Content Tips for Home Care Agencies:
- What are your agency’s policies and procedures related to advance healthcare directives? Discuss those in your content this month.
Caring Resources to Support this Spark:
Additional Resources to Support this Spark:
- Website for National Healthcare Decisions Day
Content Sparks are part of Caring.com’s Content Made Simple program. See all of the Content Sparks.
- Best Senior Care: Caring Super Stars 2022 - December 7, 2021
- Best Senior Living: Caring Super Stars 2022 - November 19, 2021
- Caring Stars 2022 Criteria: How Senior Living Communities & Senior Care Agencies Earned the Award - November 14, 2021